Saturday, May 13, 2017

Berlin

Berlin was stop number 3 on my month-long Europe tour! I wish I could have spent more time there. I really enjoyed my time. I got there super early like at 6 am when nothing was open. So I took a walk from the train station through the Tiergarten to the Berlin Zoo. I spent a few hours there before meeting up with my group for the walking tour of Berlin.

I wish that I would have taken the train to Potsdam and went to the Palace there as well as the bridge where we exchange prisoners with the KGB. But by the time I had walked through the Tiergarten and then the walking tour, I was at 15 miles for the day, and my feet were done in!

CHECK OUT THE MUST SEES/DOS AT THE BOTTOM!! 


Elephants at the Berlin Zoo 

The walking tour in Berlin was wonderful. I highly recommend it. I learned so so much about the history of Berlin, much more than I thought. We started near Alexanderplatz and headed toward Museumisle. We didn't go into any of the Museums, but we got to see how Berlin is using its past to make its future. 
Bullet holes in the columns

We walked through Museumisle towards the Brandenburg Gate, we stopped at a few memorials on the way. One was truly inspirational called Nuen Wache. It's a must see. It is in honor of all the people who have lost someone for war and tyranny. 
Nuen Wache

Next, we went to Bebelplatz, where Humbolt University is. It is also the site where the book burning occurred. This also has a memorial, however, you would miss it if you didn't know about it. It is under the ground and you have to be looking for it. 
Humbolt University

Bebelplatz


Next on the tour was Brandenburg Gate and the Memorial to Murdered Jews in Europe. Also directly behind the Brandenburg Gate is the cobblestone walkway that represents where the Berlin Wall was. 

Brandenburg Gate

Where the Berlin Wall was

The Memorial to Murdered Jews in Europe.

The Berlin Wall at the Topography of Terror

To end out our journey on the walking tour, we stopped at the Topography of Terror, and Checkpoint Charlie. It was a lovely walk through the city and I completely suggest going on it! 
The face of the man that almost ended WW2 before it started 

One of the communist propaganda 



Must Sees 
  1. Walk through museumisle -- even if you don't do the museums 
  2. Brandenburg Gate
  3. Topography of Terror
  4. Bebelplatz 
  5. Checkpoint Charlie
  6. Potsdam 



No comments:

Post a Comment