Sunday, May 21, 2017

Rome

Rome
My absolutely favorite city. I thought Paris would be my city, but its completly Rome that has my heart. We got there later in the evening on day 16 of my trip. and we went straight to the Trevi Fountain. I loved it there. I just wish it wasn't as crowded as it was. I threw my coin in and made my wish :)

Trevi Fountain 

Trevi Fountain

Next was the Pantheon. I cried, the inside was absolutely beautiful. I finally go the same feeling that I did at the Cliffs of Moher. The wonderment and amazement, that i was sitting in a place that had stood the test of time for 2000 years. 
Pantheon

Pantheon

We walked around for a bit and found the Spanish Steps (that were under construction) and one of the Egyptian Obelisks. There are 8 of them, that were brought back when Rome conquered Egypt. One of them is the largest standing and oldest Obelisk in the world. 
Spanish Steps 

Egyptian Obelisk

Egyptian Obelisk

On day 17, I got to see the Colosseum and the Forum. We were supposed to see the Forum first, but due to the pouring down rain, we cancelled it. However we did get to go on the arena floor of the Colosseum. It is crazy to think of all the years this has stood and the things that it has seen. 
Colosseum

This is the stones that held the ropes of the ceiling

Originial stone road

Colosseum

The "basement" of the Colosseum where the fighters and animals would be

On the Arena Floor

Since we didn't get to go to the Forum, I decided ot go there on my own. I got a little lost (I read the map wrong) but I ended up getting to walk around Rome some more and it was amazing. We did make it to the Forum and climbed up a hill. Not the Palestine Hill, but another and honestly I think we had some amazing views. We didn't go down into the Forum, because we decided that the views from where we had climbed were much better. 
This place is where all the important decisions were made. It would be the place that the US democracy would get its ideas from. 



Forum

Forum

Forum

Forum

Then we went walking some more and found what we were told is the Wedding cake monument. It looks much much older than it actually is. We walked some more and found the cat sanctuary. It is where Julius Cesear was killed and they turned it into an area for the cats! I was so happy that I found it since my two kitties are rescue kitties :) 
One of the best things about Rome is that you can walk a few city blocks and find something that is 2000 years old. It could have been anyone's house but it is so amazing to stumble across. 

Wedding Cake monument 

Cat Sanctuary where Julius Cesear was killed

old ruins in the city

The last thing I did was a pasta making class with the group. I wish that I wouldn't have done it. I could have seen so many things in Rome instead. 
Needless to say Rome was one of my favorite places in the world and I can't wait to go back! 






No comments:

Post a Comment