Monday, May 22, 2017

Salzburg aka Sound Of Music Tour

The entire reason I wanted to go to Salzburg was for the Sound of Music Tour. I got into Salzburg at like 3 am and was exhausted. I was so tired that the place I was staying let me crash on their couch in the lobby until I could get into my room.
It was raining again, but I had songs to sings!!
One of the first things I found was this photo below, and I had to google what in the world was the meaning behind it.

Golden Square in the Streets of Salzburg

I googled "golden squares in the streets of salzburg" and after scrolling down a little I found an article about a man that is putting these plaques up all over Europe in honor of the Jewish victims of the Holocaust. This man lived in the building that was right to the side of me. I was extremely moved once I read this, and started trying to keep an eye out for anymore. 

The first part of my day was a city tour. We started out in a plaza in front of Mirabella Palace and headed to the Palace into the gardens! This is where the "do re me" song in the Sound of Music was done! (I did warn you that this post is purely about the Sound of Music). 

The Fountain they dance on

The steps of the "do re me" song

Mirabella Gardens 

Mirabella Palace

Next for the Walk through the city, to see some of the sights! I saw Mozart's house and birthplace. The Fort/Castle up on the hill as well as the monastery and several other sites.  

Mozart's House

Mozart's Birthplace

The Fort/Castle

Where the bishop's horses were washed! 


Then we got on the bus to see the rest of the sites from the Sound of Music! 
First stop was the lake and back of the house from the movie! There was actually 3 houses used in the making of the movie. This was only the back porch scenes of the movie. 


Next was the road that Maria walked down during her "I have Confidence" song!


Then we found the gazebo used in the "I am 16 going on 17" song! 


To end of this trip we went to Mondsee to the Basilika St. Michael where they used the inside of the cathedral for the wedding scene in the movie! 




I absolutely loved this tour. I would do it again and again. 
Especially since the entire ride, the tour guide played songs from the movie and gave us little tidbits from it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment