Sunday, March 19, 2017

Edinburgh, Scotland

I loved Scotland. I wish that on my trip to Edinburgh in August of 2015, I would have just stayed in Scotland for 4 days before heading over to Ireland for a week (blog post on that coming soon!) I stayed out closer to the airport in Edinburgh. But they have a bus that goes into the city to the airport that arrived right outside of my hotel every 15 minutes or so. It only cost 1 pound to go into the city and 1 pound to come back.

Check out the Bottom for my Must SEE/DO!! 


Sir Walter Scott Monument 

The bus dropped you at a central point in the town. It was just a short walk up to the Royal Mile and on the way I passed this. The Sir Walter Scott Monument. I thought it was beautiful even though I'm still unsure who Sir Walter Scott is (I think a writer??)  and you can go to the top of it for some amazing city views. I didn't go to the top because I had already decided to hike to the top of author's seat the next day. 

Edinburgh Castle 
This is at one end of the Royal Mile and is also where the Military Tattoo is held every year. I missed out and didn't get tickets to it while I was there. The castle is no longer in use but has a significant amount of history and is not to be missed. Robert the Bruce was crowned here and Mary Queen of Scots was born here! Roam around but do not miss the Great Hall, which is huge and beautiful. 

Holyrodhouse 

Holyrodhouse Abbey

Walk down the Royal Mile (which is actually a mile long) to the other end which is where you will find Holyrodhouse! This is where the Queen of England stays during her royal visit to Scotland. You have to pay to get into this one, but I think its worth it solely to see the Abbey ruins. They are beautiful and worth every penny.

Arthur's Seat

From Holyrodhouse you can find the trail that you can hike to Arthur's Seat. Remember that it is a hike, up a mountain! Wear the right shoes. Not the ones that you see in my photo. My poor aching feet that day!! 
Its absolutely beautiful and stunning views. Totally worth it. 

Greyfriars Bobby

Next, I hopped a bus and headed to see this guy!! Rubbing his nose is supposed to bring you good luck :) There is a restaurant/bar right by this guy that is wonderful! The story goes that this guy's owner died and he spent the rest of his life keeping watch at his owners grave! 
The Elephant House

This is on your walk back to the city center. I would have missed it, had it not been for the 50 thousand chinese girls in line. After doing some research, I found that this is where J.K.Rowling got the idea for Harry Potter! The nerd in me freaked, took selfies, and bought things.

Other tips. There are a few other things in Edinburgh that are worth mentioning. Try some of the scottish whiskey and ale. There are tastings all over the city. 
Listen to the bagpipers for a while. They play wonderful music. 

Must See/Do!!!

  1. Edinburgh Castle
  2. Holyrodhouse 
  3. Arthur's Seat
  4. Greyfriar's Bobby
  5. The Elephant House (Harry Potter)
  6. Sir Walter Scott Monument 






No comments:

Post a Comment