Thursday, March 16, 2017

Amsterdam

My first time out of the country was in March of 2015, 2 years ago now. But I still remember almost everything about it. Some of the details are hazy now, but for the most part all the emotions and feeling as still there.
Allow me to give you my review of Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Check the bottom for my list of Must See/Do!! 

Red Light District

I arrived in Amsterdam in the middle of the afternoon. I was exhausted. I was too excited to sleep on the plane on the way over. 
Looking back on it, I wish I would have done my research and took the train out to a couple of the smaller towns in Holland. Like Marken where they make the wooden shoes or Zaanse Schans where the windmills are. 
But this was my first time and I was nervous. 

I met up with a few people in my tour group at the airport and walked around the town with them, getting hopelessly lost in the process. 

For my first time out of the country, I booked the Amsterdam, Paris and London trip with EFCollegeBreak. Honestly, it was the best idea for me. It gave me the solo travel feel I wanted but in a group setting. I could still do, and did, whatever I wanted, but with the security that someone would come looking for me after a while. 

We made it to the hostel and then did the orientation walk through the town of Amsterdam with our tour guide. Then we had a "get to know you" drinks at a bar in the red light district. 
Thats pretty much the end of Day 1. 

Day 2 
We got breakfast at the hostel and did a tour of the city of Amsterdam. 
It is such a beautiful city with its bridges and canals. The floating flower market it a must! As well as a tour of the red light district! 
Canals

Prostitute Statue at the Red Light District

Floating Flower Market 

Red Light District

Day 2 ended with an afternoon nap, which again, not the best plan, but I was too tired. 

DAY 3
the day I did everything. 
Started the morning early at the Anne Frank House. They don't allow photos in the museum, but its a must see. You will cry (I did), but it was worth it. 
Next was the I amsterdam sign and the Van Gogh Museum. Now I'm not an arts person, nor really a museum person. I tend to lose interest quickly and get bored. The Van Gogh Museum was wonderful if art is your thing. Its not mine, but I did spend 2 hours in there getting cultured. 



After the Van Gogh, it was on to the Heineken Brewery. Now I don't like beer, but this was so fun. You got to learn all about how beer was made through these interactive promps. And at the end you got tickets for free beer along with a canal cruise. 
Professional Beer Pourer

I'm also now a professional beer pourer. I have a certificate and everything. You gotta pay me extra if I pour your beer. 
Canal Cruise from Heineken

During the canal cruise from Heineken, we were lucky enough to see the famous bench from the Fault in Our Stars!!! which I have heard was recently stolen. 

Fault in Our Stars bench 

That was my trip to Amsterdam. It was amazing. The people there are so nice and open. They have no sense of privacy, but they are some of the nicest and most active people you will ever meet!! *WATCH OUT FOR THE BIKES** they are ruthless


TOP MUST SEES/DOS IN AMSTERDAM

  1. Anne Frank House
  2. Floating Flower Market
  3. Dam Square
  4. Red Light District
  5. Heineken Brewery



love ya,

No comments:

Post a Comment