Sunday, November 19, 2017

Tennessee

I've made it to this state several times over my lifetime and I think it is beautiful, but at the same time, I can think of lots of other places I like better!
There are really 3 touristy locations, Nashville, Memphis, and Gatlinburg. There are several other areas, but for the most part, those 3 are it. 

Nashville

The capital city and the home of Country Music. It's without a doubt my favorite city in Tennessee! 

1. Grand Ole Opry -


by far my favorite thing in Nashville. During one of my father/daughter trips, we took in a show! I thought it would not be my thing since it was a lot of country artists that I didn't know as well as gospel singers. I loved it. I would go all the time if I was down there. They put on an amazing show. 
You can also do behind the scenes tours during the day! Depending on when you go you may need reservations. My family did the tour on the 4th of July and didn't have to wait.





2. Ryman Auditorium - this is where the Grand Ole Opry used to be until 1974. There are still concerts and events there. You can also tour it as well!


3. Broadway Street - This is where all the bars, honkey tonks, and salons are! From 5th and Broadway down to the Cumberland River, are at least 35 different places to drink and listen to country music's next big things. Robert's Western World, Tootsies, and Wildhorse Salon are consistently listed as the best places to drink and listen to some music.


4. Centennial Park - a beautiful park that is on the opposite side of the city from Broadway. It is home to a Parthenon replica that houses an art gallery.


5. Country Music Hall of Fame - located just off of Broadway Street, is the home to researching and preserving country music. A must see for any country music enthusiast. 

6. Johnny Cash Museum - around $20 to get in and another wonderful country music museum.

7. The Hermitage - for all you history buffs, this is the home of our 7th President Andrew Jackson and is really beautiful. Not just the mansion, but the grounds as well.

The Bluebird Cafe is supposed to be an amazing place to eat.




Memphis

Blues City and really underwhelming.

1. Beale Street - very much like Broadway Street, except replace the country music with blues music.

2. Peabody Hotel  - This is probably my favorite part of the city. Every day at 11am and 5pm the Peabody ducks come down from their room in the hotel to the fountain in the lobby.

With a Peabody Duck! Obviously showing his best side :) 


3. Graceland - ELVIS! It is a beautiful house in the middle of a very sketchy area. $40 to get in, and I wish I would have been able to go.





Gatlinburg

Settled right up against the Smokey Mountains, this town has become the Myrtle Beach of the mountains. It is absolutely beautiful but really really touristy.
The main drag is full of shops, lots of places to eat, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Gatlinburg Sky Lift, and Ole Smokey Moonshine.

There is an awful lot to do here. I only have been here once or twice and with so much to do and see, I know I may have missed a lot of things.

Right outside of Gatlinburg is Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. Home of Dolly Parton!
Dollywood is an amusement park and is pretty cool. There is some historical aspects as well as plenty of rides! But also some killer BBQ :)
Me with my brother and cousins at Dollywood



If you have any questions let me know!! 

graceparsons2023@gmail.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment