Sunday, September 10, 2017

Maryland

Next up in my State Series is Maryland! I've been through Maryland multiple times and actually lived in Baltimore for 5 weeks during my Pharmacy rotation at John Hopkins. It is a state full of history and has some stunningly beautiful places! I was there in 2013 and just recently for a Orioles game in August 2017.

Baltimore
To me: Baltimore has the least amount of things to do. I think that since it is only an hour from D.C. there isn't a whole lot there. But let's talk about what is there!!

Inner Harbor 
This is where all the action is!
Inner Harbor 
Inner Harbor 

Inner Harbor

Inner Harbor 

There is a bunch of shopping areas here along with about a billion places to eat. I'll focus on the good ones toward the bottom of the Baltimore section. 

Things along the Inner Harbor to do: 
 Federal Hill (where the union soldiers marched the captured Confederate soldiers after the Battle of Gettysburg)
Maryland Science Center - pricing is $25-29 depending on if you do the IMAX and such. 
Historical Ships in the Harbor: USS Constellation (an actual ship used in the early 1800's), Submarine USS Torsk, Chesapeake, Taney and the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse (red lighthouse from the photo above) - $15 for 2 ships, $18 for all 4. 
Top of the World Observation Deck - $6 
American Visionary Art Museum (I hated it, but I'm not an art fan.) $16

National Aquarium - $40 They have a dolphin show that is pretty cool. 
Inside the Aquarium


Food: 
Rusty Scrupper
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co (I had to put it on here.)
Phillips Seafood
McCormick and Schmick's Seafood and Steaks
There are so much more but these are the good seafood places right in the Inner Harbor. 


Right outside of the Inner Harbor is Camden Yards. This used to be a train station and was where the Union soldiers dropped off the Confederates to be marched after Gettysburg! (I guess I think this is so cool!) It is now where the Orioles play and I think it's a great way to preserve history but in a way cooler way than most!! 

Jason and I go to a game in August 2017.

Babe Ruth's birthplace is actually really close to Camden Yards (about 2 blocks behind it) and I feel is worth a stop to give a nod to the great Babe! I actually went on his birthday in 2013 :)  $10

The little museum for Babe. 

And honestly, I think that is pretty much it for Baltimore. As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of it especially when D.C. is an hour away! 



Annapolis
I adored this town! A lot smaller than Baltimore and has a small sea-town feel to me. I was there for a Saturday when I lived in Baltimore in 2013 and I wish I would have taken more photos. I started by the Naval Academy and walked around the marina then up Main Street (I'm pretty sure it was Main street) and went into about 20 different little shops and boutiques! I spent way more money than I should have as a college student. 

I walked up until I cut across and saw Maryland State House. It is a beautiful domed building built in the 1700's. I love love love old buildings like that that have stood the test of time.

I wish that I had more to add to this section, but that just means that I got to go back and get more recent photos and info! Jason will love that :) 


Antietam 
You all know how I feel about National Parks, so I at least have to include this here. It's about a half hour away from Baltimore and another half hour or so away from Harpers Ferry, WV.  
The Battle of Antietam is also called the Battle of Sharpsburg and is the most bloody single-day battle of the Civil War. It was also one of the first 5 battlefields to be preserved. 





Cumberland
This town is really cute and has some really cool things that are surrounding it! 
Firstly the C&O Canal is great for walking and biking trail that goes all the way through Harpers Ferry. The first part of it starts in Cumberland. 
 On the wall by the Cumberland Visitors Center
Outside of the Cumberland Visitors Center

Close to Cumberland is Deep Creek. A wonderful lake and trails that are a common place for summer vacationers! I've been here once and of course this is before I decided to photograph all my journeys! 


Outside of D.C. 
There are a couple places right outside of D.C. that are really worth the drive to see! 
Piscataway Park - directly across the Potomac River from Mount Vernon and has farming there! So its a great place to stop off with kids! 
Mount Vernon from Piscataway Park

Fort Washington Park - 12 miles down river from D.C., this fort was the first line of defense against any water attack on our capital! 
My dad and I walked around this whole fort amazed at the beauty and fortitude of the place. Kids would love this place to run around and play! 
Fort Washington

The drawbridge entrance

Officers Quarters

The original defenses prior to 1812

A cannon! 

Can you see the Washington Monument?






That is all I got for now for Maryland! Stay tuned for more updates as I explore more of this beautiful state!! :) 
Anything you want to know or want to see me write about? Email me!! graceparsons2023@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment