Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Solo Traveling

Solo travel can be super scary for some people. No one wants to be alone, its basic human nature.
However there are just some times that it can't be avoided. Once you figure out how to entertain yourself and that the big scary world isn't really that bad, solo travel is gonna leave you speechless and make you a storyteller.
Traveling solo will make you learn more about yourself than you ever really wanted to know. I've learned that: I'm not an art person, I hate staying out past midnight anywhere, and 9 times out of 10, I'll pick chicken nuggets if its on the menu. It may not be any world shattering revelations, but still I learned things about myself. But mostly I learned that I can do anything I put my mind to. Traveling alone takes courage and self-reliance. I learned that I'm way braver than I ever thought I was and I'm capable of handing a lot of different situations.

So I've devised some tips about how to solo travel.

G's tips for solo travel:

1. Do your research!!! 
I honestly can't stress this enough. If you are going anywhere especially alone, make sure you know what you want to do, where you need to go, and how you are going to get there. Some can wing it, but for my sanity, your sanity and your parent's sanity, come up with some kind of game plan. Things change on a whim. But having a general idea of everything before you go will help tremendously.

2. Keep your things with you. 
I swear every Jim, Tom, Barbie and Ken have some kind of story about how this crazy person at the hostel stole their stuff. Keep it locked up and don't bring anything that if you lost it, you may die. I normally bring my laptop and camera with me when I travel, but I won't die if they get stolen. I may die if my wallet or phone does though, so its always with me. 

3.BE SMART! 
Seriously. If you are drunk as a skunk at 4am, no where near your hostel and no one there to help you, your basically asking to get robbed at the very least. I completely understand wanting to drink and party especially when you are in another country, but be as smart as I hope you would be in the states. Have a way home already figured out. Never go alone, make sure there is someone that is less drunk than the rest of the crowd your with. DO NOT TAKE YOUR PASSPORT OUT DRINKING WITH YOU!! take a copy of it, if you feel the need to have it. Loosing your passport can be one of the biggest hassles in the world. 

4. Bring copies of your passport.
Put a copy in all your luggage, keep copies at home. Do everything you can to not loose the sucker. 

5.Bring travel books.
This is probably the most controversial thing I may post. I adore travel books. adore them. Travel books can be your single most important thing you bring on the trip. Most of the books come with maps, making it easier to get around. Most come in pocket size versions to carry in your purse or pocket. Also they have so much knowledge and resources if you find yourself in any kind of trouble. A lot of people are completely against bringing travel books because they want an "authentic" experience and not just rely on what some other person said. That's great... good on them. Bring the travel book in case of emergencies.

6. Do NOT be afraid to make friends!
This is actually a little difficult for me. I'm an extremely outgoing person who doesn't know a stranger, unless I'm traveling outside of the country. This is because I've watched the "Taken" movie too many times. Talking to a random person on a bus or beside you at a bar, really isn't going to be that big of a deal and normally will not mean you get taken. I have met a lot of interesting people by striking up a conversation at random.
Example. Met a Canadian family that "adopted" me while on a guided tour of Jungfrau, they were hilarious and I still talk to them some today. 

7. Do guided tours.
Some people just do not like traveling alone. I don't mind it for the most part, but if you want to have really the best of both worlds, do guided tours. I normally try to book a guided tour from viator.com or tripadvisor.com in every city I'm in. It allows me to meet people and not be alone (basically make my mother happy) but also be alone and experience things. 

That's all I got for now, I may add more and more as time goes on! 

Happy solo traveling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment